What is RSVP?
RSVP is part of Senior Corp, a national service program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. RSVP’s purpose is to mobilize adults 55 and over to use their talents and life experience to help meet community needs through volunteer service. RSVP offers flexibility and choice to its volunteers matching their personal interests, skills, and location with opportunities to serve in their communities. Every year, thousands of RSVP volunteers make a big impact by sharing their expertise and providing millions of community service hours across the United States.
RSVP is sponsored locally by Volunteers of America serves the eleven counties of: Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Hennepin, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Pine, Ramsey, Scott and Washington. We strive to provide a high quality experience that enriches the lives of volunteers while meeting the critical needs of our community. RSVP volunteers work with local organizations to have an impact on critical needs in focus areas such as literacy; housing; food security; independence and wellbeing for seniors and persons with disabilities; economic opportunity; and service to veterans and military personnel and their families.
Who can be a member of Greater Twin Cities RSVP program?
There are no membership fees to join. Anyone aged 55 and over serving in the 11 county service area may apply to be an RSVP volunteer, regardless of formal education; experience; race; color; national origin, limited English proficiency; sex; age; political affiliation; sexual orientation; religion; or disability. RSVP volunteers serve without compensation and agree to meet requirements in this handbook. Our volunteers serve on a regularly scheduled basis, or on short-term assignments.
What are the benefits of being an RSVP Greater Twin Cities member?
- Personalized Assistance – RSVP staff will work with you to identify a volunteer opportunity that will meet your individual needs. We will match your skills, interests, schedule, and geographic availability with a volunteer position that is right for you. We will continue to be available to provide ongoing information and support as your volunteer needs evolve.
- Supplemental Insurance – As an RSVP member you will be covered by supplemental insurance when you volunteer. In the unfortunate event that something happens to you while volunteering, or while traveling to and from your volunteer position, the insurance will help cover deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident.
- Be Counted as Part of a National Movement – Adults 55 years and older are giving thousands of hours daily to positively impact the communities they live in. Your hours will be counted with those of your peers to demonstrate to policy makers and the community the impact of older adult volunteerism on a local and national level. Help send the message that people 55+ plus are making meaningful contributions, solving problems, and bringing our communities together. You are our country’s fastest growing asset and a valuable part of the SOLUTION.
- Volunteer Recognition- RSVP celebrates your accomplishments and honors the work that you do. This takes a variety of forms, including special events, trainings, and opportunities offered to RSVP members.
- Travel Reimbursement – We can reimburse a portion of your volunteer related out-of-pocket-transportation expense including mileage, bus fare and Metro Mobility fare. This is a partial reimbursement of travel expenses based on available funding. Travel reimbursements are paid quarterly.
- Training – We offer periodic training on topics of interest to the RSVP volunteers.
Where can I volunteer?
RSVP Twin Cities members are placed with nonprofits and governmental agencies located in our service area that have signed memorandums of understanding. These agencies have signed memorandums of understanding with RSVP. Each site meets a community need for our service area and offers ways for you to utilize your experience, knowledge, talents and skills. The sites accepts the responsibility for the volunteer opportunity and supervises you. It is the organization to which you will report and to which you will turn in your report of hours served and reimbursement requests. RSVP and the site work together to support you in having a rewarding, impactful volunteer experience.